Vineyard ActiveSync is a solution using which you can synchronize your events in a Vineyard database with your appointments in a groupware server (such as Microsoft Exchange) supporting the Exchange ActiveSync protocol.
The Vineyard ActiveSync client is integrated into Vineyard Web. Currently, you have to be able to log into Vineyard Web to configure and test your ActiveSync replication account.
Figure 1. Vineyard ActiveSync client is built into Vineyard Web
First, Vineyard ActiveSync has to be properly configured. After that there is no need for any special actions from users. The replication works automatically on the Vineyard Web server and the users see vineyard events appear in their client calendar applications, such as Outlook, and events from ActiveSync Server (e.g. Exchange) appear in their Vineyard calendars. The users do not have to be logged to Vineyard Web for the replication to work.
Vineyard ActiveSync Side
· Vineyard ActiveSync client must be able to connect over HTTP(S) to the ActiveSync Server.
ActiveSync Server Side
Currently the following ActiveSync servers are supported:
· Microsoft Exchange 2010
· IBM Lotus Domino 8.5.x
The ActiveSync protocol version 14.1 is supported.
· Any user of Vineyard Web can use ActiveSync replication. You have to have a vineyard user account allowing you to log into Vineyard Web.
· You have to have an account on a groupware server such as Microsoft Exchange. The current version of ActiveSync allows each user to have its own ActiveSync server.
· Please note that the use of ActiveSync protocol has to be enabled for your user account on the ActiveSync server.
Vineyard ActiveSync Replication analyzes changes in the Calendar(ActiveSync) Server and Vineyard calendar for each ActiveSync user and brings them up-to-date with each other. For example:
· Your ActiveSync server appointments and all-day events are copied into Vineyard events and Vineyard ‘responsible’ connections are created between your person object and the events.
· The Vineyard events and meetings you are connected to are transferred to your ActiveSync Server calendar as your appointments.
· ActiveSync Server Calendar meetings you take part in are replicated into the Vineyard events connected to you as ‘responsible’. Please note that when Vineyard ActiveSync can match the meeting organizer and participants to Vineyard users (if their email addresses are the same in Vineyard and ActiveSync servers) then the meeting organizer person is connected to the replicated event as “Responsible” and meeting participants as “attendees”, respectively.
· ActiveSync Server Calendar and Vineyard reminder settings are properly copied.
· Private events are replicated into ActiveSync Server Calendar with the Private flag set and into Vineyard with Visibility set to "Self".
· Events deleted for you in ActiveSync Server Calendar are disconnected from you in vineyard.
· Events disconnected from you (or deleted) in Vineyard are deleted in ActiveSync Server.
· The following database settings additionally define which vineyard events will be replicated:
o Only event types visible on the Vineyard Calendar (set in step 7 of the System Setup Wizard).
o Only events connected to users with connection types which allow connected events to be visible on the Calendar.
o Additionally, only a subset of event types can be selected for the replication at the step 9 of the System Setup Wizard.
Please note that when appointments have been changed simultaneously in ActiveSync Server and Vineyard, the replication considers the changes made in Vineyard of higher precedence and therefore keeps the Vineyard changes and discards the changes made in ActiveSync Server.
ActiveSync Server Configuration
Normally there is no need for any configuration on the ActiveSync server. In Microsoft Exchange, you might want to check if using ActiveSync protocol is allowed for user accounts supposed to use Vineyard ActiveSync replication. You can disable the use of ActiveSync for user accounts you do not want to allow using the replication.
Vineyard Web Server Configuration
You should set the “SyncRepeatTimeout” parameter in the vyconfig.xml file located in the WEB-INF folder of Vineyard Web product folder under Tomcat:
· 0 – default value. Automatic synchronization is disabled, but users can manually run a sync.
· >0. Positive integer number enables automatic synchronization and sets a time interval in minutes between sync rounds. Do not set this interval too low if you have many users as then you might have next sync waiting for the previous one to end which will result in synchronization running all the time.
· <0 Synchronization is disabled for everyone.
Configuring User Synchronization
If the vineyard administrator has configured synchronization in Vineyard Web server, then you can synchronize your events in Vineyard with your appointments in Lotus-Domino or Microsoft Exchange systems.
To configure synchronization for your account please do the following:
Select Settings from the main Menu:
The settings page with the Synchronization panel at the bottom will appear:
Under the Synchronization select:
1. Protocol. For now only the ActiveSync protocol is supported.
2. Server Type. Select which server you want to synchronize your vineyard events with:
Lotus-Domino or Microsoft Exchange. (Google Sync is not supported for now).
3. Set the path to the server which you want to sync with the Vineyard server:
· Select Append protocol path if you only want to enter the base server address and let Vineyard Web to build the Resulting URL. Select SSL for a secure connection: HTTP protocol will change to HTTPS.
· Clear Append protocol path if you want to enter or edit the full server path yourself:
4. Enter the user name and password for the target server you selected (Lotus-Domino or Microsoft Exchange).
5. Check your email address in the target server you selected. If it is not correct then click Edit and change the email address of your vineyard person object.
6. Click Save to apply your settings
Verifying Settings and Synchronization
Click Control to verify your settings and synchronization process if needed.
· Click Verify account to check if the sync process can connect to the server using the data you entered:
· Click Sync Now if you want to initiate sync process from your account. Normally this is not needed and should be avoided as synchronization is automatically done by the server process in set time periods.
· Click Reset sync data only if you see that there are problems with synchronization and you want to start from scratch. This also should be avoided.
· Click Settings page to return to the previous page with your synchronization settings.
· Click Refresh to update the information about the time of the last sync.